Reverse of the card reads: "This painting, executed by Frederick Ruple at Batesville, Ark., for V.Y. Cook who served in the battle under Forrest, hung for many years in the Courthouse in Memphis. Present whereabouts is unknown." Col. Rucker is, of course, Edmund Winchester Rucker, who lost an arm in the war. Fort Rucker, AL is named for him. It would be interesting to find the original painting and discover if the patron is pictured therein.
This is the U.S. Army Vessel General D.H.Rucker, packed full of soldiers. The postcard provides no clue as to the body of water. Not in Peter Rucker's line, he was in the Union Army Quartermaster Dept. during the Civil War
"Dr. S. T. Rucker's Private Sanitarium for Nervous Diseases, Mild Mental Disorders and Drug Addictions. Beautiful park-like grounds. Elegance and comforts of a well - appointed home."
Sent to Myrtle Lamb of Detroit, May 7, 1945. "This is a nice climate to live, just warm enough in day time to be comfortable, and very cool at night. K.N.M
Who owned the Rucker Quarries? This is an old picture: that's a steam locomotive, there's a mule-drawn cart in the right foreground, and all the men are wearing hats.
"Distributors of Nationally Known Lines (Established 1935)" Mr. Jon S. Rucker of Manassas, VA related that his father, Leslie Clary Rucker, Sr. owned Rucker Radio Wholesalers, which closed in 1962. The senior Mr. Rucker was a leader in the Washington, D.C. business community and the president of the National Electronic Distributors Association.
No direct Rucker connection, here, but everyone who attended the 2004 reunion knows that Lynchburg and the surrounding area is steeped in Rucker history. This card was mailed March 10, 1908 to Miss Annie Stanley in Lowry, VA from a Piedmont Business College student, name undecipherable. "War Times" presumably dates the picture to the 1860s.
No writing on the back, but the date on the front is June 7, 1907. The Batteau Festival is a yearly event in Lynchburg, and during the 2004 reunion members of the Rucker Family Society watched the batteau Anthony Rucker head down the James on the week-long trip to Richmond.
This still stands, but a new building has assumed its former purpose. If you are looking for documentation of the early Rucker family, Amherst County and its courthouse record room are a great place to visit. Don't miss the history museum, and it's excellent collection of Rucker genealogical resources. There is also a display of weapons and accoutrements used by Confederate soldiers in the local cavalry company, which included nine Ruckers.
This picture is courtesy of Mike Rucker, who found it in the Arlington County library. The Rucker Building, Arlington (Clarendon), VA; circa, 1930. It was built in 1925 and is still there, and still owned by the descendents of George H. Rucker, who descends from John.
Rucker Realty Building, 1403 Courthouse Road, Arlington, VA. It was the home of Rucker Realty from 1910 to 1990 and was demolished to make way for the new Arlington County Judicial Building. Photo courtesy of Mike Rucker's detective work in the County library.
Named for Confederate Col. Edmund Winchester Rucker, hero of The War Between the States. Camp Rucker opened in May, 1942 to train infantry. It was renamed Fort Rucker in 1955, and is now the home of Army Aviation.
William Price Wood, son of T. W. Wood, was the husband of Sudie Rucker Wood, author of The Rucker Family Genealogy. T. W. started his seed company in 1879, and it spanned four generations of the family before closing in 1965.
During the Civil War, the Ruckers in Amherst County, Virginia, would have used script such as this dollar bill, printed locally.